- 1 pound unsalted butter
- 1 pound plus 12 oz. semisweet chocolate chips (divided)
- 6 oz. unsweetened chocolate
- 6 extra large eggs
- 3 Tbsp. instant coffee powder
- 2 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 2 ¼ C. sugar
- 1 ¼ C. flour (divided 1 C. for batter & ¼ C. in chips and nuts)
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 C. nuts (optional)
I’ve been told these will “make your knees buckle and your eyes roll back into your head,” and I believe it’s just about true. At some of our catering events I would be run out of town if I showed up without these. YES, THEY’RE THAT GOOD!!!
We at LakeConroeTXonline can definitely vouch for that! And, so can everyone who attended our Ribbon Cutting,
- Preheat oven to 350* and grease & flour 13X18X1 ½ (half sheet) pan
- Melt together butter, 1 pound chocolate chips and unsweet chocolate in double boiler. Cool slightly. Stir together eggs, instant coffee, vanilla and sugar. Stir in chocolate mixture and cool to room temp.
- Stir together 1 C. flour, baking powder and salt and add to chocolate mixture. Toss nuts and remaining chips & flour to coat then add to batter.
- Pour into pan and bake for 30 minutes or until tester comes out clean. (Halfway through the baking, rap the pan against the oven shelf to allow air to escape from between pan and dough. Do not overbake.
- Cool thoroughly, refrigerate well, and cut into squares.
Adapted from the Barefoot Contessa Cookbook (1999)